Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:38:37 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        "Kannanthanam, Boji T" <boji.t.kannanthanam@intel.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Maximum SCSI device limitation ?

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 17:53:43 -0800, Kannanthanam, Boji T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ICP RAID Controllers (http://www.vortex.de/) support up to 100 logical
> drives in the host adapter driver (channel x, ID 0, LUN 0, ... channel x, ID
> 99, LUN 0).
> But we see only da0, ..., da15 in the OS (16 drives). Is there a limitation
> in the SCSI Direct Access Device Driver (da)? This was observed on FreeBSD
> release 4.4.

The probe code sends a path inquiry CCB (XPT_PATH_INQ) down to the
controller driver to determine, among other things, the maximum target
ID supported by the driver.

The probe code won't probe any target IDs higher than the maximum
target the controller driver claims to support.

So check the driver and see what it is putting in the path inquiry
CCB.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry