Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:44:33 -0400
From:      Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   From -RELEASE to -STABLE

I'm running 4.3 -RELEASE right now, and I keep my ports tree current with the following cvsup file :

*default host=cvsup.ca.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all tag=.

I'd like to track -STABLE on a weekly basis. I've got "The Complete FreeBSD, 3rd Edition" but I'm not quite sure I fully understand the concept of tracking -STABLE. Last time I tried doing this, 'make world' bombed my box and I was left with a very, very broken system.

I'd like to know :

* What to add/modify to my cvsup file to track -STABLE
* How 'make world' works, and how *not* to bomb my system
* What to expect (broken stuff perhaps ?)
* How to keep my system (/usr/src) up to date afterwards

Also, how often do you people out there rebuild your entire system?

Many, many thanks!

--
Joel Dinel
TouchTunes Digital Jukebox, Inc.

Everything is controlled by a small evil group to which, unfortunately,
no one we know belongs.