Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2008 08:59:39 +0100
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   web browsers for Alpha (was: Re: anybody running port www/amaya)

> Being unable to build firefox3 on alpha

Have they done anything to make firefox LP64 clean?
It's been awhile, but I once tried to get firefox
to build on NetBSD/Alpha and got over 30,000 complaints
from the compiler.  Looking at the code, it was clear that
the author thought all the world was ILP32.  I submitted
a patch fixing over 1100 problems but the firefox crew
was very hostile, and I doubt they ever did anything
with the patch.

> I turned in desperation
> to other web browsers from ports.

Oddly Mozilla runs on both NetBSD/Alpha and FreeBSD/AMD64.
I thought Firefox was just Mozilla with some non-web-browser
stuff removed, but perhaps there are other differences.

You might try Links and/or Dillo.  Smaller, faster, higher
quality code.  They work on LP64 machines.  Unfortunately
they may not have all the features you need.  Links (with
-g for graphics mode) allows setting the font to any size
you want, you can make it very small to get a poorly
designed web page to fit on your screen, or crank it up
if your eyes are tired.  It also allows changing the size
of images, which even mozilla-the-bloatfest can't do.
Dillo actually cares about security.