Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:06:28 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, John DeBoskey <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comments requested: automatic hook for mergemaster

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:

> > In message <20000917211609.A9550@unx.sas.com> John DeBoskey writes:
> > :    What happens to a nightly 'make world' process if DO_MERGEMASTER
> > : is defined?  We'd need a completely non-interactive approach
> > : to make this work (I'm not 100% familiar with mergemaster's
> > : internal workings).
> >
> > If DO_MERGEMASTER is defined, the build is no longer automatic.  Now
> > that I think about it, it might not be such a good idea.
>
> I disagree. Having a non-automatic option will not make the process
> non-automatic, as long as that option is not used.
>
> So, what happens is that nothing changes for anyone, except those that
> explicitly define the option. Those who do will have their installworld
> hanged waiting for input. (Well, unless -a is used for mergemaster --
> but I like the interactive version myself.)

I envision the installworld target to be used in an upgrade target.
Running mergemaster is more a task for such a target than it is for
installworld. I therefore don't think we should add the hook to
installworld. It can be added to a possible future upgrade target,
though.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org