Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:21:58 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tape drive recommendation

On Tuesday,  5 September 2000 at 11:40:12 -0500, BWS - Offwhite wrote:
> I am looking to add a tape drive to a server.  I will run backups
> weekly and It hink 20gigs will be enough for the job.  I am look at
> a price range of $200 to $350 for the drive.
>
> Any suggestions for a good drive for FreeBSD?

I don't know too many drives in this price range which will write 20
GB on a single tape.  DDS-2 will do 8 GB.  DDS-3 will do 24 GB, but I
don't think you'll find a DDS-3 drive at that price.  Alternatively,
you could use Exabyte, but again you're unlikely to get a 20 GB or
better drive at the prices you're looking at.

> Would any SCSI tape drive work with FreeBSD?

Just about any.  I have some seriously ancient Exabytes (over 10 years
old) which don't.  It wouldn't harm to ask when you find something you
like the look of.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.