Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:19:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel compile errors

Hi,

How does your make.conf file look like?  Based on my experience, I've
always had make world failure if I added the "CXXFLAGS+=-fmemoize-lookups
-fsave-memoized" option in the make.conf file.  Here's what my make.conf
file looks like:

CPUTYPE=p2		# Celeron (Mendocino) 500Mhz
CFLAGS=-O -pipe
COPTFLAGS=-O -pipe
COMPAT3X=yes		# Needs it for some Linux applications
COMPAT4x=yes
BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=115200
XFREE86_VERSION=4	# Using XFree86 4 now
USA_RESIDENT=YES
DOC_LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1

After I CVSUP, I run from /usr/src:
make world && make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC && cp -Rp /etc /etc.old  && cd
/dev && ./MAKEDEV all && cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall && make clean &&
make install all && /usr/sbin/mergemaster -a && reboot

You can switch some of the steps.  It runs smooth for me.  I just
CVSUPdated just now.  If you still get compilation problem, then you may
need to CVSUP again when connection isn't too busy.

I've given up much of the C and C++ optimizations for two reasons:
1) It gives me too much trouble!  Compilation fails too oftern.
2) I really don't see the performance improvement for my daily usage.
Maybe if I run a serious Physics problem simulation that takes days to
simulate, I might see the enlarged perfromance gap (a couple of hours
difference between the seriously optimized compilation and normally
optimized compilation).  But, I doubt I would run such serious simulations
on this 500Mhz laptop!  I would need a serious desktop with say fastest
ATHLON available (can't afford non i386 architectures with my TA/RA
salary of $1490/month! Besides, I'd rather prefer 1.2Ghz Athlon over
500Mhz Alpha  **** 1.2Ghz Athlon beats out on 500Mhz Alpha by
slight margin!  Even Alpha can't rely on good design alone here (too much
of MHZ gap between 1.2G and 500M)! ***)

The only thing I modify in my make.conf file is the CPUTYPE and sort....

Regards,
Sung N. Cho,
Friday, July 20, 2001.

Dept. of Physics,
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University.