Date:      Thu, 29 May 2008 11:09:31 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gilles <gilles.ganault@free.fr>
Subject:   Re: Renaming "root" to "homer"?

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Gilles wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 2008 10:48:27 +0200, Pieter de Goeje
>
> <pieter@degoeje.nl> wrote:
> >Unless you have explicitly set PermitRootLogin to yes in
> > /etc/ssh/sshd_config, it is not possible to login as root using
> > ssh.
>
> Right. I did this because I was tired of having to log on as homer
> and then sudo'ing to root, using two complicated passwords :-/
>
> I guess I should learn how to use public/private keys instead.

If using keys instead of passwords you could consider setting
PermitRootLogin to "without-password". It's a misleading choice of name
for the option but it ensures that root using ssh must use keys instead
of a password. Adding your own public key to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
on the remote machine avoids the need for you to remember the remote
password.

--
Mike Clarke