Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:25:21 +1030
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws+freebsd-questions@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        Ryan Merrick <sandshrimp@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using hyperterminal

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 10:56, Ryan Merrick wrote:
> Kyryll A Mirnenko wrote:
> >   How is `tip` related to well-known windows' hyperterminal? E.g. can I use
> > hyperterm-to-tip style connection? If they're using different protocols, is
> > there a BSD hyperterminal version?
> >
> Hi,
>
> Tip is the freebsd built in terminal emulator (ie) the same as hyperterm. I
> am not sure what you are asking on the second question. The close port to
> hyperterminal is #/usr/ports/comms/minicom

Is it tip or cu?

I've used tip on an embedded linux system as a basic serial comms
utility, but tip on FreeBSD appears to be a login-style connection
program only? In any case, the following worked for me:

# cu -l cuaa0
Connected
~
[EOT]
#

Disconnect is either ~^D or ~. (tilde + ctrl-d or tilde + period).

Wayne