Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 22:05:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk (Dom Mitchell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, desar@club-internet.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Searching an "old" BSD stdio

> Doesn't Kirk McKusick sell a complete BSD sources set on CDROM?  I'd
> check the web page, but it appears to be inaccessible to me at the
> moment.  I seem to recall that he required you obtain some kind of a
> license from SCO first, though...

The settlement agreement between UCB and USL, the terms of which
are not permitted to be disclosed, made the Net and Net/2
distribution supposedly "illegal".  Since you can't revoke a
license granted in perpetuity (which is why Apple still has a
valid license for the UCSD P system that they used to implement
the original "QuickDraw"), DEC has declined to remove it from
their gatekeeper.dec.com archive, as have hundreds of other
licensees (even some institutions with more money than Bill Gates).

Net was BSD 4.2, and Net/2 was BSD 4.3.

I believe Kirk sells the 4.4-Lite2 CDROMs.  If he sells others, it's
only with proof of a Western Electric or later UNIX source license,
to keep himself out of hot water.

The specific requirement of the original poster was a BSD 4.2
stdio that could be linked against, presumably because of either
promisucous reference to the implementation details of stdio, which
have subsequently changed, or because a preexisting object file
for which source is not available.

If it's an object file, I'm pretty sure that they're screwed,
unless they can contact the vendor of the box for the code; the
stdio subsystem is one that every company thought they could
"make better".

If it's source, it'll probably have to be rewritten.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.