Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 2015 01:10:17 +0530
From:      Rushil Paul <rushilpaul@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   GSoC 2015 Task: Unifying ping and ping6

I am interested in the project - Unifying the programs ping and ping6.
I have decent knowledge of C/C++ and networking. I also spoke to a mentor
(Gavin) about the idea. I went through the source code of ping and ping6,
and ping6 was giving me a little hard time.
My mentor also told me to consider taking up the task to unify traceroute
and traceroute6, if I think the first task will take much less than 15
weeks. Problem is, I am unable to decide how much work ping and ping6 will
be (I feel it will take lots of time as this is the first time I'm getting
familiar with the code).

Will my proposal be strong enough if it is only about merging of ping and
ping6?

And what exactly should my proposal include? How much code can be shared
between ping and ping6, how to test the program afterwards etc.? Some
inputs from experts will be very helpful :-)

--
Regards,
Rushil