Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:51:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Questions" <questions@totaldiver.net>
To:        "RW" <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual boot problems (RESOLVED)

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:44:03 -0500 (EST)
> "Questions" <questions@totaldiver.net> wrote:
>

>> However,  when I try FreeBSD/amd64, grub won't compile (it's
>> architecture is forced to i386 only in the Makefile.  I haven't dug
>> into why, but I'm confident there is a reason. Obviously, grub
>> becomes a non-option.  Gag has the same limitation of being i386 only.
>>

> I'm not sure why gag is i386 only, all it does is install a binary
> floppy disk ISO. You can also install it from many Linux live CDs. Once
> it's installed it's independent of the original installation medium.
>
> !DSPAM:4,45d274028483574158760!

To help anyone out who is also attempting to dualboot FreeBSD/amd64 and
Vista:  here is what I did.

Install Vista first.   Use the disk manager to create a partition (or
resize the partition) to make room for FreeBSD.

reboot,  and install FreeBSD, installing a standard MBR (the machine will
reboot directly into FreeBSD)

After back into a fresh FreeBSD,  do:
sysinstall > Configure > Distributions > lib32   (this installs 32bit
compatibility libraries.

Now fetch
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/Latest/grub.tbz
(yes,  the i386 package)

pkg_add grub.tgz

It will now work in compatibility mode,  and you can use it same as you
can with a native FreeBSD/i386.

Hope it helps someone!

- Jeff Palmer