Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:46:52 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME panel and 3.5-STABLE

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 06:48:25PM +0200, Jan Conrad wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded to 3.5-STABLE and rebuild the gnome-1.2 meta port (all
> via cvs).
>
> Everything works fine except the panel which keeps crashing with messages
> like
>
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
>   serial 79016 error_code 10 request_code 129 minor_code 1
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)
>   serial 79017 error_code 128 request_code 129 minor_code 5
>
> Does anybody else experience problems like that under 3.x??
> What about 4.0?

Good news and bad news.

First, the bad news..  as GNOME maintainer, I don't have any
3.x boxes lying around any more (I may fire one up under vmware,
but it's low priority).  So, you're pretty much on your own
I'm afraid.

The good news.. as far as I can tell, GNOME works pretty much
flawlessly under 4.x (which is what I use to get things running).
I certainly haven't seen any errors like those that you've mentioned
above.

Unless this is a production-critical machine (in which case, why
are you runnning GNOME on it? :), I would strongly recommend that
you back up your data, do a binary install of 4.1-RELEASE, and then
track 4-STABLE.  At least you'll then be in sync with the GNOME
maintainer, and you'll get a whole bucketload of extra goodies
at the same time.

Regards,
	-aDe

--