Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:44:53 -0500
From:      Dan Kilbourne <bsd-lists@netophilia.net>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended partitions laptop + server...

Kiffin Gish extolled:
> Who can offer me suggestions for the best way to partition my laptop?

This is really a very general question, and bound to start a flamewar of
the "best" partition scheme, but here is what I use.

> 12.5 GBytes HD
> 512 MB memory
> Dell Inspiron 8200 PIII
>
> I am thinking about the following:
>
> /	4G
> SWAP	512M
> /home	remaining

I personally only have / and swap. On my 20 GB drive I have 768MB swap
and the rest is /

> Is this correct?

Depends on your needs.

> Howabout a web server?

Depends on your needs.

> 40 GBytes HD
> 512 MB memory
> AMD Sempron 3100+

Will this be a shell server? web server? mail server? file server?
If it is a web server, I would do it like this:

1 GB swap
2 GB / (this can be much smaller, I just like to copy files into /root
occasionally)
6 GB /usr
2 GB /var
2 GB /tmp (keep /tmp separate to help security)
Remainder /home

If it is a mail server, I would do it like this:

1 GB swap
2 GB / (this can be much smaller, I just like to copy files into /root
occasionally)
6 GB /usr
2 GB /home
2 GB /tmp (keep /tmp separate to help security)
Remainder /var

It really depends on your planned usage.