Date:      05 Mar 98 23:26:58 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Stuff

At 05 Mar 98 14:57:52 Greg Fraize (2:234/49.99) wrote to All  regarding Re: PPP
Stuff in area "freebsd-hacker"

 GF> it does connect with the isp..and I can watch the
 GF> login and password be sent and
 GF> the isp box logs me on....
 GF> the one thing i am not sure on....
 GF> is I have my buad rate set at
 GF> 115200
 GF> ..but the modem I am connecting to is a 33.6
 GF> .....should I have my buad rate set to 33.6 ?

115200 is just fine. Your modem can compress data, so you'll want to keep the
comport at higher rate.

As a test, I made a file containing 100.000 "*"'s. I transferred it with a
connect 1200 (connect 300 went into fax-mode instead), but the modem could
transfer it at 57600; the highest speed the modem accepts.

If you surf and get lot of text, it can compress quite a bit, especially mail
and news.

(Here I disregard the fact that the ppp-layer can compress data before it
reaches the comport)

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---