Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:04:05 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libevent for FreeBSD ?

David Leimbach wrote:
> Interesting.  I don't believe it needs to be in the source tree.
>
> I am not saying its bad code or isn't useful... I just don't understand
> what it has to do with FreeBSD.  Does any of the other base code need this
> library?
>
> If so it would already be there wouldn't it?

It's like Java: a platform independent API for programmers to
use in creating platform dependent code.

You pay some performance penalty for using it instead of
writing to native interfaces, and in return, you get some
source level portability to platforms that you may or may not
really be interested in running on at some point (perhaps far
in the future).

If you are using this, you probably aren't overly concerned
with squeezing the last ounce of performance out of your
application, and you probably are writing some program that
has to run either in a lot of places, or has to be portable
to an unknown deployment platform.  And once the deployment
platform is known, you will probably rewrite to the native
interfaces anyway.

This isn't to say it's not useful, just that its use has a
fairly limited scope and application, IMO.

-- Terry