Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2012 14:08:26 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Snow Mountains <snow.mountains.4@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on SSD on ASUS P5KPL-C

On 17 November 2012 12:26, Snow Mountains <snow.mountains.4@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm about to upgrade hardware on my desktop and to install FreeBSD 9
> on it. I have ASUS P5KPL-C and want to buy a SSD or SATA-III 6Gb/s
> drive for it.
>
> Please advise me:
>
> * does it make sense to buy SSD drive for a mb that supports 4x SATA
> 3Gb/s (of couse, expecting a possible future mb upgrade)?

If you want SSD, by all means.  For me the price/benefit
ration is definitely not there.  For you, perhaps different.

> * if SSD is capable of working at greater speed, will it simply
> operate on maximum 3Gb/s on P5KPL-C?

Yes, it will simply use the slower speed of the controller.

> * the same question for SATA-III 6Gb/s. Will it simply operate on 3Gb on my mb?

Yes.

> * How will FreeBSD 9 behave in such situations? Any special tweaking needed?

I wouldn't expect any special behaviour, though you need to take care
with block alignment.  Perhaps in the future FreeBSD will have a
blocksize/erase-blocksize aware formatting & partitioning tool(s),
but at the moment, you need to make sure those are correctly
aligned if you want good performance from 4k blocksize drives
(& SSDs will probably still need to be aligned to whatever the
erase block size is).

Good luck.