Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:11:15 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>, Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-current@ and freebsd-current@

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 04:21:21PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Thursday 01 December 2005 03:28 pm, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:59:41AM -0500 I heard the voice of
> >
> > Chuck Swiger, and lo! it spake thus:
> > > I've asked postmaster@ about this, and there are mechanisms in place
> > > which are supposed to merge the two names to avoid duplicate
> > > postings, but some messages seem to get missed.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, there seems to be a pattern to it.  All the
> > places where somebody starts duplicating happen when somebody (a) is
> > using KMail, and (b) replies to a message to 'current@' (never to
> > freebsd-current@), it will set the To: to freebsd-current@, and leave
> > current@ in the CC list.

I've begged the FreeBSD postmaster and admins to add a script to make all
the mailing list addresses canonical.  Until then, I've added
.procmailrc rules to my own mail handling to do it.  Maybe Kmail users
should do the same.

..snip..
> Yes, KMail parses the List-XXX headers that mailman sticks in messages to
> figure out that when you reply to a list message it should use the list post
> address for To:.  Unfortunately, there is now way to turn this "feature" off
> and when I submitted a bug report about it to KDE asking for the feature to
> be toggleable the KMail developers basically told me to piss off.

Maybe an enterprising KDE user could whip up a toggle patch that we could
at least commit as a patch to the port.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)