Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 22:02:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mtv leaves a zombie after exit

Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 22:13 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > A "ps -gaxl" will print the wait channel, which may be more
> > informative.
>
> Out of curiousity:  What is the -g switch doing?  `man ps` does
> not list it (yes, I had my pager search for "-g", it's not just
> the synopsis).

Good question.

Back When FreeBSD was Berkeley UNIX and not POSIX (8-) 8-)),
it meant:

  -g   Display  all  processes.   Without  this  option,  ps
       prints only "interesting" processes.  Processes are
       deemed to be uninteresting if  they are process group
       leaders.  This normally eliminates top-level command
       interpreters and  processes  waiting  for  users  to
       login on free terminals.

These days, it just means that my brain has not been POSIX
certified.

Here's a man page:

<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ps&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=SunOS+4.1.3&format=html>;

-- Terry