Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 16:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, vanilla@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: manpages (Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/p5-Term-Query p5-Term-Query-2.0.tgz)

 * Hey...  That would do it!
 *
 * There's something some much more satisfying about type "make
 * clean install" than "rm -Rf work \n make install".  :-)

 :)

 * > MANCOMPRESSED: manpage is compressed (implied by USE_IMAKE)
 * > MANNOTCOMPRESSED: manpage is not compressed even though USE_IMAKE is defined
 * > MANCANBECOMPRESSED: honors NOMANCOMPRESS
 *
 * Or maybe "MANMAYCOMPRESS: honours NOMANCOMPRESS".
 *
 * Hmm...  I'm not sure.

Maybe we should forget about all these kludges and go for straight
definitions:

MANCOMPRESSED=yes: manpage is compressed
MANCOMPRESSED=no: manpage is not compressed
MANCOMPRESSED=maybe: honors NOMANCOMPRESS

USE_IMAKE has no effect on this.  (Personally I think USE_IMAKE should
be made to imply MANCOMPRESSED=maybe for *BSD, but it doesn't.  Oh
well.)

No defaults either.  MAN? without MANCOMPRESSED is an error.

Am I being too draconian again? ;)

Satoshi