Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:28:44 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Malan Joubert <malan_joubert@hotmail.com>, g@tuatara.goatsucker.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: windows printer from FreeBSD

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 10:32:57AM +0200, Malan Joubert wrote:
> How do you print to a windows printer from FreeBSD?
> I want to print high quility pcb files from a cad design package...
> Is this possible?
> The windows machine is running windows XP...
> Thanx very much
> Malan

Hi Malan,

The apsfilter package (print/apsfilter) -- highly recommended for any kind
of printing from FreeBSD -- will print to any printer accessible to Samba,
which it will install for you if you don't have it already.  Setup was a
bit fiddly the first time I did it; I won't try to offer any specific
advice, since it depends very much on how your network is set up.

You will need to have a printer that apsfilter could print to if it was
directly connected to the FreeBSD machine -- effectively a real PostScript
printer or one that Ghostscript has a driver for.  That covers most things
you're likely to encounter except for Winprinters, but you probably have a
real printer for the kind of output you're producing :-)

I believe Ghostscript has a driver that will allow it to print to *any*
Windows-supported printer, but last time I looked, only if Ghostscript is
running on the Windows machine.  It would be very cool if this worked
remotely as well, so yo umigt want to look into that as well.

Cheers,

	Scott