Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:41:20 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running dual boot windows inside of bhyve

Hi all,

> Am 27.12.2017 um 18:15 schrieb Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
> I fear that you may be out of luck.  Windows deliberately frustrates =
this
> use case by profiling its hardware at installation time and at every =
boot
> thereafter.  If the hardware changes too much, then Windows demands a =
new
> license fee.  Moving from physical hardware to a VM would probably =
trip
> every one of its alarms.

Correct. But we are talking Windows 7 here. It will lose it's activation =
for
sure, but as far as my experience goes you can always reactivate Windows =
7
with the same keycode (unless it was a counterfeit one and is =
intentionally blocked).
As a last resort MS offers a phone dialog system that has always worked =
for me.

> For this reason, I would recommend using a
> separate instance for your VM.  However, if you do use a shared =
instance,
> then make sure that your PC is booting in UEFI mode.  BHyve can only  =
boot
> Windows in that mode.  If you do that, then BHyve will probably be =
able to
> boot it just fine.

This is actually the bigger of the two obstacles. If the original =
installation is
MBR booting, I don't know of a way to convert it to EFI.

If you happen to have some genuine not "OEM" Windows 7 install medium
*and* your original key, you should be able to do a fresh installation =
and
complete activation - via phone if necessary.

HTH,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100
76133 Karlsruhe			info@punkt.de	http://punkt.de
AG Mannheim 108285		Gf: Juergen Egeling