Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 1995 11:43:19 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfree

>Since the install doesn't work yet (for me anyway)
>
>How do I install Xfree manually? I've reinstalled FreeBSD maybe 40+
>times this past week, and I finally have the system about where I want
>it, so I'd rather not delete everything again.

Sysinstall was designed to be re-entrant, so you should be able to go to
custom install and pick the xfree dist all by itself and have it do the
rest.  If this doesn't work, just do something like this from the machine
(I'm assuming its not the target machine) where the distribution files are
sitting:

cat * | rsh freebsd_host "cd /; tar xvfz -"

You'll have to setup the .rhost file correctly of course, but it should
work.

>Also like to say I have
>linux on many machines, including my thinkpad, this is the first time
>I've been able to run FreeBSD, and it's pretty good, tho I still like
>Linux's install and setup, and programs. FreeBSD has better Harddrive and
>Network support.

What programs or functionality do you miss in FreeBSD that you have in
Linux?

I know you've already said a lot in this area, but how would you
improve the installation program?
--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1