Date:      Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:26:38 +0100
From:      Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD-6 usb/scanner-access-rights

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 06:47:54PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 05:37:36PM +0100, Holger Kipp wrote:
> > Dear Roland,

> > ah, I had the entry
> > "add path 'uscanner*' mode 0660 group usb"
> > missing in the devfs.rules-file
> > but this still does not help...
> >
> > uscanner0 is here:
> > uscanner0: EPSON EPSON Scanner, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
> >
> > sane-find-scanner has the following to say:
> > found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device /dev/uscanner0
>
> Doesn't matter that you get "UNKNOWN". It _will_ work with sane without
> access to /dev/usb*. It does here.

This is an Epson Perfection 1260. Don't ask what the 'Perfection' stands
for. Anyway, this is in fact a Plustek, so I have to add the following
to /usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf:
-[usb]
+[usb] 0x04B8 0x011D
+device /dev/uscanner0

I need vendor and product id to get this working. Without getting
this info, eg scanimage -L will complain that it couldn't find a scanner, etc.

only with /dev/usb* set to root:usb, I will get

%scanimage -L
device `plustek:/dev/uscanner0' is a Epson Perfection 1260/Photo USB flatbed scanner

Regards,
Holger Kipp