Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:38:13 -0500
From:      Mike Horwath <drechsau@Geeks.ORG>
To:        NOC Prowip <tec@mega.net.br>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance 4.x vs. 6.x

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 11:13:24AM -0300, NOC Prowip wrote:
> Hi, I am hooking in here without any intention to fire things up but
> isn 't this discussion certainly useless? Not only 4.11 is gone but
> also i386 is practically marked to die out as well as UP systems
> are.

Wow, I hope not.

Unless you are separating out i386/i486 and such.

Many people refer to i386 as all 32bit x86 systems.

> All platforms are going to be 64bits and memory of 4GB or more is
> not so rare anymore. Allmost all AM2 MBs support already 16MB. Even
> most professionals are not using SCSI anymore but Sata-II.

I disagree.

SATA (of any gen) still does not perform like SCSI.  Let's just look
at spindle speed alone ignoring the other benefits of SCSI.

Now, I am not a lover of 32bit either, all of my new systems are amd64
(either Opteron or EM64T systems).

--
Mike Horwath, reachable via drechsau@Geeks.ORG