Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 1996 14:16:59 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        dicen@hooked.net
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

dicen@hooked.net writes:
>> That's *NOT* the correct thing.  What happens when for some reason
>> PPP happens to send the sequence '+++' to the modem?  All of a sudden
>> it'll drop into command mode and you're screwed.  User-PPP (as well as
>> all other PPP/SLIP implementations I've worked with) assumes that you've
>> disabled the escape sequence at least temporarily.
>
> Interesting. But, what exactly is the prabobalitity of that? I will have
> think about this one.

The probability of it happening is very very small, given that
there must also be a two minute "silence" from the DTE both before
and after the '+++' sequence. The actual delay required is usually
register configurable.

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freefall.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/