Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:50:30 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "<freebsd-current@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] Patch to bsdinstall to support root-on-ZFS and GELI

On Oct 8, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> On 10/07/13 21:59, Allan Jude wrote:
>> Devin Teske and I have been working on a big patch to bsdinstall to
>> implement installing on a ZFS pool. It supports both GPT and MBR, the 4k
>> sector gnop trick, and optional GELI encryption. We would like to commit
>> this in time for 10.0-BETA1 so it needs some testing to work out any
>> obvious bugs before we send it off to re@ to get it committed.
>>=20
>> It includes a single configuration menu that allows you to select all of
>> the required details, including which drives to use (gets details from
>> camcontrol, also includes an inspection utility that presents the
>> detailed output of camcontrol inquiry/identify, and gpart show), what
>> ZFS RAID level to use (taking in to consideration the selected number of
>> drives), GPT/mbr, 4k YES/no, GELI yes/NO, pool name, etc.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Additional, it includes some other changes to bsdinstall:
>> 1. Change the default to the 'non-standard keyboard mapping' prompt to no
>> 2. Replace the 3 separate dialogs to configure an ipv4 address with just=
 1
>> 3. Remove the dialog asking if you wish to enable crash dumps, this
>> feature has been combined into the regular 'services to enable' dialog
>> and enabled by default
>>=20
>>=20
>> You can browse the patches here:
>> http://druidbsd.cvs.sf.net/viewvc/druidbsd/bsdinstall_zfs/
>>=20
>> I've built a bootonly.iso (10.0-ALPHA4) to make testing easier,
>> available compressed (48 MB) or uncompressed (211 MB):
>>=20
>> http://www.allanjude.com/bsd/zfsbootonly_2013-10-06.iso.xz
>>=20
>> http://www.allanjude.com/bsd/zfsbootonly_2013-10-06.iso
>>=20
>>=20
>> We look forward to your feedback
>>=20
>=20
> Thanks for doing this! I had a few comments:
> 1. ZFS is not bootable on all architectures. Could you adjust that menu
> item to only display for i386, amd64, and (I think?) sparc64. Use uname
> -m, not -p, for this.

I think we can do that no problem.

> 1a. The script is broken on sparc64 in any case, which uses VTOC8
> instead of GPT.

*nods* we'll have to purloin your VTOC8 code before we offer it to
sparc64.

> 2. Why are you using camcontrol? That is guaranteed not to work on
> non-CAM systems. You should use the GEOM ident string if you need an ID.

I imagine we could get the info from many places, and to be honest, I never
knew about "diskinfo" until last week (but apparently it's been around since
5.x days).

The one place where I suspect camcontrol(8) usage is appropriate is the
mini "disk inspector" dialog. The camcontrol inquiry output is specifically
helpful if/when you're doing multipathing (and you need to identify which
da# devices are duplicates of the same device -- given Serial#).

But I gather you mean for "disk description" in the device menu (for picking
text to go along with the device name).

I'm open to using a different tool... or multiple tools. Do you think it wo=
uld be
better to just stick to one tool? or to query a few? (which ones win-out?)

> 3. Any plans to integrate this into the regular partition editor? ZFS
> support is important enough that I will definitely not get in the way,
> even as a bolt-on, but it would be a shame for it to stay that way. The
> editor is also designed for ZFS to be added.

Yes and yes. (and didn't know the editor was designed for ZFS too)

> 4. What is this gnop stuff for?

Thanks goes to Freddie Cash for his excellent explanation (I had to
admit, I didn't understand it at that level)

> 5. I think some substantial part of the MBR code will blow up if you are
> reinitalizing a previously formatted disk (the bsdlabel will be retasted
> and come back from the dead).

Will not some combination of "gpart destroy -F" and (insert suggestion) wor=
k?
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.