From:      Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What is freebsd

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com> [000402 10:47] wrote:
> > Emmanuel Ates wrote:
> >
> > > I want to learn Unix but I do not have the finances to go to school.
> > > Can I learn UNIX by learning freebsd?  Are the commands the same as
> > > Unix?
> >
> > UNIX, or more general, an operating system is not simply a set of
> > commands, but the way the computer functions.  Personally I would not
> > recommend FreeBSD as your first step into UNIX.
> >
> > Personally I would recommend Linux, my choise is SuSE Linux
> > (http://www.suse.com).  Spend the $29~$49 for the full distribution
> > because the manual is going to be very helpful to you.  I recommend
> > Linux over FreeBSD simply because there are a lot more people using it
> > which results in a lot more documentation and web sites related to it
> > for newbies.  One outstanding site is http://www.linuxnewbie.org. Once
> > you get a good grip on Linux, then look at FreeBSD and discover the real
> > power! (Only wish I could get the darn firewall working!)
>
> Using an operating system that strives to be as "easy" as windows
> is not the way to learn UNIX.
>
> Get some books, ditch the timewasting GUI, and download FreeBSD.

I agree 100%, but...  I ended up trying Linux about 6 times before I was
finally sold on it.  If I would have started with FreeBSD, I don't think I
would have come back to UNIX.  It was because of my understanding of Linux
that I like FreeBSD so much.

My attitude is this:  use Linux to start with because you can get up and
running quickly and allow you to learn the basics of UNIX.  Once you know your
way around, then dive head first into FreeBSD.

The thing I like about SuSE is that they have one console tool for all admin
stuff and the 400+ page book makes lots of reference back to the real files
that do the configuration.  I do NOT recommend RedHat, there is too much GUI!

Sam