Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:38:17 +0100
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I mount slices with no dev entry from fixit floppy?

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 02:23:17PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:

: Do you mean that ad0s1 is not in /dev?  That would be the slice.
: Or do you mean no ad0s1g - which would be the partition inside the slice?

It's the partition that I mean, then.

: Also, careful of your use of the word mounted.   Nothing should
: be mounted on /dev/ad0s1g or there would be problems.   But
: what you want is the partition at /dev/ad0s1g and you want to
: mount that on some mount point such as /mnt or maybe /oldusr if
: you can make that dir.

Oops, that's what I meant.  I need to mount /dev/ad0s1g to /mnt or whatever
mountpoint I will use.

: How sure are you that your old /usr was in partition /dev/ad0s1g?
: Is it possible you are looking in the wrong place?

That's what I see when I 'cat /mnt/etc/fstab' with my old drive / mounted on
/mnt.

: I have not had to use the fixit disks so I am not sure of what all
: is included, but I would be surprised if there is no MAKEDEV script
: if it is for FreeBSD 4.xxx or older version.   In 4.xxx and earlier,
: the MAKEDEV script is in /dev.  You need to cd to /dev and then
: run  './MAKEDEV ad0'.    NOTE, the './' is necessary because MAKEDEV
: will not be in your path.

I'll look again, but I only saw a few devices listed, and no script.

: Try doing
:
:   cd /
:   mount /dev/ad0s1g /mnt
:   cd /mnt
:   ls

I'll try tonight, but I think it complains that ad0s1g doesn't exist.

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.