Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 23:52:20 +0300
From:      JohnsoBS@vicksburg.navy.mil
To:        nlunkel@ig.com.br, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Installer

Coming from a DOS, then Windows, then god knows how many linux
distributions, I was quite fond of the FreeBSD installer. I find it
straightforward and easy to navigate and get done quickly. First
time I ever installed a FreeBSD system it took me 15 minutes from
putting the cd in, booting it, installing and rebooting back into a
running OS. Your problems if I am reading what you are saying
correctly seem to stem greatly from X. Well, X is a buggy installer
and should be tackled outside of the FreeBSD installer anyway.
The installer imo is just that. It installs an OS. Anything extra should
done by hand or that applications specific config routines.
The minimal installer FreeBSD uses makes its installing on low end
systems easier and quicker also. I recommened you do a bare minimal
base install, and then hand built or package add everything you require
afterwards. This is how I have done things now for the past 4 years
on everything I have installed it on and have been most happy this way.

Brian Johnson
USS Vicksburg
Currently deployed at sea in Arabian Gulf.