Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:29:54 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RE: Zoom modem, how do I use it?

1/14/2002 5:15:47 PM, "Joe & Fhe Barbish"
<barbish@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

>I just exchanged a zoom external modem V.92 for a V.90 model.
>V.92 is a brand new dial protocol which most ISP are in no
>hurry to support.
>I do not think FBSD sio can handle it.
>The Zoom V.90 works with out any problems right out of the box.
>It works under windows because you have to install the drives to
>Make it work. FBSD has to have software change made in it's
software
>Which will take time before it gets distributed in a general release.
>
>Correct me if I am wrong.

OK, you're wrong.  :-)

I've had the Zoom V.92 external fax modem work fine with 4.3 and 4.4,
and a USR V.92 external fax modem work just as well with 4.4 and 4.5-
prerelease.  Unfortunately, I can't recommend anything to Mr. Hall,
since both modems worked "out of the box" for me - I never had to
fiddle with /etc/modems.  (Unless you're just forgetting something.
Check out Dru Lavigne's article on connecting to the Internet using ppp
or cable modem, part of her FreeBSD Basics series at O'Reilly
Network, which I find is very good at reminding me of all the essential
steps.)

Jud

Hall
>Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 4:56 PM
>To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Zoom modem, how do I use it?
>
>On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 09:46:20AM -0500, Binary011010@aol.com
wrote:
>> I'm having problems with my zoom v.92 56k external modem. I am
online
>using
>> windows right now, so I know the modem works, but I can't seem to
use it
>> under FreeBSD. I have used other external modems under
FreeBSD, all using
>the
>> "generic" /etc/modems entry, but with this zoom, none of the
premade modem
>> entries (including generic) works. I have /etc/remote set up correctly,
>and
>> can get the computer to communicate with the modem, but all the
>> get from tip are negative, and the modem just makes wierd sounds.
So I