Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:07:12 -0800
From:      Eric Kozowski <eric@haydenisland.verio.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xbatt and apm -b hang my system

xbatt and amp -b hang my system hard.  only way to recover is by a
power cycle.

zzz generates "Inappropriate ioctl for device" as do all other apm
commands.

apmconf -e generates "can't ioctl APMIO_ENABLE"

me thinks something is wrong in the kernel support for apm, but i
double checked that apm support was compile in.  i even rebuilt the
kernel to make sure.

system:

quantex h1331 p2 233
freebsd 2.2.7 + pao

what's the best way to troubleshoot this problem?