Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 15:37:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Circular dependency: gal vs. glade

On Tue, 21 May 2002, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> Joe Clarke wrote:
>
> >PGP Key : http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc
> >
> >On Tue, 21 May 2002, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> >
> >>I am attempting to install gnome frm ports from scratch.  There are
> >>many problems, but now I have come up against a doozy: gal-0.19 depends
> >>on glade which depends on gal...
> >>

> >Are you sure?  There are two glade ports.  One is the glade development
> >IDE, and the other is libglade.  gal depends on libglade, but libglade
> >does not depend on gal.
> >

> The problem is that gal stops in mid-configure due to libglade missing.
>  libglade should be an explicit LIB_DEPENDS within the gal Makefile.
>
> gtkhtml suffers from the same dependency cycle that makes it stop in
> mid-configure.

But there is no cycle.  You just have some missing dependencies.  If all
the GNOME bits are kept up-to-date, you shouldn't be seeing this problem.
As I said in my PR reply to you earlier, something is being done so that a
port can check the version of each of its package dependencies.  sobomax
is working on this, and has enhanced some of the pkg tools in -CURRENT.
Perhaps he can comment on this further.

Joe