Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: text = 0xe3000 -   -- and locks:  Why?

Ugh.  This is ugly.  Put on the long rubber gloves and dig in...

On Thu, 18 Jul 1996, Jim Dennis wrote:

> 	Here's the situation:
>
> 	I have a 16Mb 386DX33 with a ULSI 387 Match-coprocessor, a
> 	QuickPath Portfolio 550E I/O card (4serial, 2 IDE channels,
> 	4 floppy, 2 parallel, and a game port) one 220M WD IDE hard
> 	drive, on 2.5G DEC SCSI hard drive, an Adaptec 1542C
> 	SCSI host adapter, and an old Texel double speed CD-ROM
> 	(and a 1Mb Tseng ET4000 SVGA card).

OK so far.

> 	First problem:
>
> 		Hangs after ze0 or zp0.

Disable 'em from UserConfig (-c on the Boot: prompt).

> 		Solution:  boot with the -c option, ls the configured
> 					devices, disable npx0
> 					(also used visual and disabled all of the
> 				    other unecessary drivers).

Your math copro must not be 387 compatible then.  While you're at it,
disable any other device you don't have.

> 	So I could get booted and into the installation script.
> 	Now I decided to install FreeBSD on the other 170Mb of the
> 	IDE drive.  It seemed like it would be easiest (I just
> 	blew away the extended DOS partition that had been there).
>
> 	Second problem:
>
> 		Crashes, Panics, Hangs, and Reboots after fdisk/disklabel.

Are you pressing <W>rite?  Don't; it's seriously broken.

> 		Borrowed my old 2.1.0 CD set from my former employer
> 		(McAfee Associates) -- I don't remember if I ever
> 		turned it a receipt on it but they aren't concerned --
> 		their systems are stable and they know where to find
> 		me if they need the CD's back.
>
> 		Still had to use the "disable npx0" configuration option.
> 		Still can't install on the IDE drive.
> 		Got the whole thing installed on the SCSI drive with
> 		no error.

Screwy.  Your IDE controller must be interfereing somehow, maybe it has
the same problem as the Promise's do?

> 		I press F5 (other drive),
> 		and F2 (second primary partition on the SCSI drive)
> 		and type -c or "kernel.GENERIC -c" to attempt to
> 		load the kernel from the hard drive (so I can tell
> 		it to ignore my "not quite compatible" math co).
> 		(I've also tried removing the math co physically
> 		from the system).
>
> 		What I get now is a message like:
>
> 			sd(1,a)/kernel @ 0x100000
> 			text = 0xe3000 -
>
> 		(the "twirl-a-gig" spins for a second and tops right there).

Sounds like a corrupted install.  I'd try deleting the FreeBSD partition
and start all over, and this time no <W>rites.