Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:48:09 -0500
From:      csg@waterspout.com (C. Stephen Gunn)
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with VLAN and natd.

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:23:23 MST, Wes Peters wrote:

> > Well.. It's a change to ifconfig for normal interface configuraton.
>
> No, what I'm saying is that ifconfig would look exactly like it does now
> for standard IP-over-EthII and for vlan id, and would be extended to handle
> other configurations not currently supported like SNAP, or SNAP + VLAN.
>
> > I also wasn't aware that ifconfig handles netgraph node creation,
> > I thought you (currently) used ngctl or libnetgraph for that.
>
> It doesn't now, but it's only software.

We're on the same page.  I was just observing that it was a software change
to ifconfig.  We're teaching it tricks about creating/associating netgraph
nodes with interfaces.  Not just configuring interfaces.  I'm not saying
that it's wrong, I'm just advocating planning, thought, and most importantly
coordination with the other BSDs when possible.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn                          URL: http://www.waterspout.com/
WaterSpout Communications, Inc.        Email: csg@waterspout.com