Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:46:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   suggestion for kernel printk() ?

Greetings!
     I just spent some time fighting a kernel that died miserably
on boot  :-(  I was inundated with an endless stream of kernel
messages (in highlighted text) followed promptly by a hard reset.
It was quite frustrating to find that there doesn't seem to be a
mechanism to pause the display at this point!
     OK, reboot from /kernel.old and look through the logs.  Hmmm...
nothing here!  Probably the filesystem wasn't even functional when
the boot ran into trouble.
     No problem, I'll move back to my kernel.old and rebuild
incrementally from there until the problem manifests itself again
and just note what my "latest change" happened to be (note that the
new kernel built without errors so it's possible this was a probing
problem).
     But, apparently the kernel image no longer contains the complete
text of the kernel configuration file!  :-(  This sure had made it easier
to backtrack in the past.   Presumably, this has been removed to make the
kernel's footprint smaller?
     Well, were there any *other* tricks I could have tried?  I finally
resorted to some (handwritten) logs to recreate the config file for the
original (working) kernel...

     Thanks!
--don