Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 18:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Tom Olenio <tolenio@world.std.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Floppy Install Question

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Tom Olenio wrote:

> Hello Questions,
>
> I am going to do a floppy install of release 2.1.7.1 (no network, no
> CDROM) and have a question as to what I need.
>
> The instructions say to copy to disk all the files in the "bin (binary
> distribution) directory".
>
> My question is do they mean all the files in all the folders of release
> /2.1.7.1/, or all the files in the subdirectory /2.1.7.1/bin/?
>
> Right now I have all the /2.1.7.1/bin/ files and a boot disk imaged. In
> re-reading everything I wonder if I have only copied a small amount of
> all the files I will need.
>
> It is my understanding that this type of install (floppies) is my only
> option.  The software is going to be loaded on a 386, 20Hz, SX, that has
> 720mg hard drive, 5 1/4" & 3 1/2" floppy drives, and external modem,
> with DOS and Telix installed.  Are there install options I am unaware of
> to complete this install on this machine? (I obviously have access to
> the internet)

You also have the option of installing from c:\freebsd\bin
and select Install From a dos partition option. This is a lot faster.

(See http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html

	2.2.3. Before installing from a MS-DOS partition)

You will probably want to include in an install:

/doc/* (Handbook, FAQ, and papers)
/manpages/* (manual pages)
/src/ssys.* (kernel sources)

Hope this helped.

--
=| Regards,             =| FreeBSD ==> http://www.FreeBSD.org
=| Kevin G. Eliuk       =| "Free at last, free at last, ...."