Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 14:44:07 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone interested in a STREAMS port?

Someone wrote..

>> On top of the TCP interface (using XTI in user mode) I have a
>> XTI/streams based rlogind/telnetd daemon which takes incoming
>> connections, forks to handle the incoming connection, performs
>> the initial protocol work, and then pushes on either a rlogind or
>> telnetd streams module, and execs login right over itself.
>>
>> This module converts talks TPI to TCP on the bottom and talks to
>> ldterm (the streams terminal line discipline module) on the top.
>> Hence the network connection is now a terminal.  Even better there
>> are no context switches when doing I/O, no extra processes, less CPU
>> utilization, ...
>
>Paol-Henning Kamp writes..
>As I said: good for terminal work, as it is primarily suited for
>character based stuff.  I'm all for the stuff you did.  I just don't
>want anybody to even think about the tcp/ip becoming streams based...
>Streams aware maybe, but not -based.
>--
This is not true at all, BSD is clearly designed for TCP/IP, and support for
other protocols is basically patchwork. While running TCP/IP over STREAMS
doesn't make any sense, STREAMS does provide a clean mechanism for passing
event information and data to a user process that far exceeds the
capabilities of BSD messaging. It is much more effiecient for high-speed
(non-character oriented) applications (like HS serial drivers) than the
mbuf/socket stuff in BSD.

db