Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:30:30 -0500
From:      Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem With GCompris

--------------enigFF2BA2C2AD6CDB9C9C2D2D88

On 03/21/10 08:38, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> writes:
>=20
>> Since this isn't listed at http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portserrs.py an=
>> I haven't a clue (yet, I know I've seen how, just can't remember) how =
>> make a report about a port error, I'm posting to this list and
>> cross-posting to the listed maintainer for this port.
>=20
> "man send-pr"

Thanks.

>=20
>> I'm attempting to install gcompris from ports. Version in ports is
>> 8.4.12_3. It won't fetch from the server so I went to download it and
>> could not find /that/ version but I did find 8.4.13 so I went ahead an=
>> put it in distfiles to see if it would work (it didn't).
>=20
> 8.4.12 is still available from the FreeBSD servers, so the current port=

> builds fine for me.

I hate manually browsing the FreeBSD ftp servers. It takes FOREVER to loa=
d.

> I tried 8.4.13, and the only problem seems to be the Makefile.in patch,=

> which needs to be adapted for whatever changed upstream.  [You can buil=
> by just deleting the patch, but permissions and install locations won't=

> be right, and I don't think it will work properly.

I'll keep that in mind.

>> If I understand this correctly, there is a freeze on ports. Might I kn=
ow
>> if 8.4.13 (or even better, the most recent version) will be available
>> after the freeze?
>=20
> The odds are always better if you supply a patch...

Right now I write shell scripts for myself and

>> Or is this facing the same problem as Java, lack of programmers
>> dedicated to it?
>>
>> If so, I'll explore options to fixing that.
>=20
> It's not quite trivial (often all you need to update a port is to chang=
> the makefile to point to the new version and update the checksums), but=

> it doesn't look difficult.

I did that and it died on being patched. The patch is there for a
reason, I'm not competent enough to know how all to make the changes
needed to be able to keep the patch and install the next point release.

There are other options I can explore, though (such as being patient and
getting it from ftp.freebsd.org (which I think the make file should fall
back to if the main source isn't available)).

--=20
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscrib=
ed.