Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:15:57 -0500
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        bastill@sa.apana.org.au
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: soundcard install

--=.TE.4CFisE4pRQr

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:35:05 +1030
Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au> wrote:

> Congratulations - rebuilding the kernel is on page one of The Manual, I
> presume?  I didn't see it there.
> I thought, in my innocence, that rebuilding kernels was something you
> do when much more familiar with the OS than I am.

Actually, rebuilding the kernel is Chapter 09 of the Handbook. Here's a
link:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

What it came to was this: I wanted my soundcard to work. After RFTM, I
concluded that the best way to make the card work permanently was to rebuild
the kernel. So I read the relevant sections of the handbook and did it.

Then again, I did spend about two years using Linux, and compiled several
Linux 2.4 kernels in the process. Compared to Linux 2.4, the FreeBSD kernel
is a piece of cake to rebuild, IMHO.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net