Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:49:47 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Erik Moe <emoe@mmcable.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making audio CDs with FreeBSD

On Monday 17 December 2001 07:27 pm, Erik Moe wrote:
> I'm trying to make a copy of an audio CD.  My last two attempts
> generated nothing but an hour and a half of static.  I have two drives
> in my system, a Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM and an HP 8200 IDE CD-RW.  I'm using
> "cdda2wav" to rip the raw data off the SCSI drive and "burncd" to make
> the copy on the IDE.
>
> Here is the command I use to do the ripping:
>
> cdda2wav -D0,1,0 -B -Oraw
>
> I think that the rip is successful since I have used sox to play the
> audio:
>
> play -t cdr audio_01.raw
>
> Now I burn the disk:
>
> burncd -f /dev/acd0c -S 4 audio audio_??.raw fixate
>
> Generates 12 tracks of static.  I thought that it may have something to
> do with the endianess of the input file so I tried another rip:
>
> cdda2wav -D0,1,0 -B -Oraw -C guess -E big
>
> Thinking that the original file was little endian and needed to be big
> endian.  Same effect, nothing but static.  Anyone know the real deal?

Try the -swab flag in cdrecord. I'm not sure if it will fix your problem, but
I remember having this problem once and it fixed it.  From the cdrecord
man page.....

-swab  If this flag is present, audio data is  assumed  to
              be  in  byte-swapped  (little-endian)  order.  Some
              types of CD-Writers e.g. Yamaha, Sony and  the  new
              SCSI-3/mmc  drives  require  audio  data to be pre-
              sented in little-endian order, while other  writers
              require  audio  data  to  be  presented in the big-
              endian (network) byte order normally  used  by  the
              SCSI  protocol.   Cdrecord  knows  if a CD-Recorder
              needs audio data in big-  or  little-endian  order,
              and  corrects  the byte order of the data stream to
	  match the needs of the recorder.  You only need the
              -swab flag if your data stream is in Intel (little-
              endian) byte order.

              Note that the verbose output of cdrecord will  show
              you if swapping is necessary to make the byte order
              of the input data fit the required  byte  order  of
              the  recorder.   Cdrecord  will not show you if the
              -swab flag was actually present for a track.

Jim Durham