Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:23:56 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.cc>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Freebsd-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Proposed Solution To Recent "firewall_enable" Thread. [Please Read]

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 04:42:03PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     ... In which case it is utterly trivial to configure rc.conf such
>     that the ipfw rules aren't changed.  You don't have to make 'NO' do
>     nothing in order to accomplish that.
>
>     NO in this context is very clear:  I don't want firewall rules, not
>     even the default deny.  It should put the computer into the same
>     effective state no matter how the kernel is compiled.
>
>     I find it quite unbelievable that people are even arguing over this.
>     It's as though some people WANT to make rc.conf as obfuscated and
>     confusing as possible.

If you are talking about changing it in -STABLE:
   Forget it.  We're not going to have `firewall_enable=NO' suddenly
   result in turning off firewall functionality.  Never mind that I
   think that's a silly interpretation -- it's just that it is too
   dangerous.

If you are talking about changing it in -CURRENT:
   Please take this thread to <freebsd-current@freebsd.org> already!

--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                     http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME           .      FreeBSD UNIX      .        Heimdal Kerberos