Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:08:37 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        anholt@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86 4.3.0 dual-head softboot hang

Hi folks,

I've just upgraded my 5.0-CURRENT (Feb 27) workstation to XFree86 4.3.0
(PORTREVISION 1) using portupgrade -R and now my dual-head configuration
is broken.

Before before I saw the X display hash background, my "secondary" card
(i.e. the one the BIOS did not POST on startup, the AGP card) would
POST, showing its BIOS message for a few seconds.

Now that doesn't happen.  The hash background is visible on my "primary"
card (i.e. the one POSTed by the BIOS on startup, the PCI card) almost
immediately, and the secondary card shows a solid white background.

At this point, the console is lost.  Even if I kill X remotely, I don't
get my console back.

I did some reading online and it sounds like softboot simply isn't
working, and that I need the int10 module and the UseInt10Module server
flag, but this hasn't helped.  Nor does it help to configure the BIOS
to boot from AGP instead of PCI (with or without the use of int10 and
UseInt10Module).

I can still get X up and running single-headed with either of these
cards, so long as it's the one POSTed by the BIOS at startup.

Here's the pertinent content of /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Module"
	Load	"int10"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"UseInt10Module"	"on"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Gainward CardExpert GeForce3 PowerPack"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	Driver      "nv"
	# Used in "Screen 1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "NV5 TNT2 Model 64 / TNT2 Model 64 Pro"
	BusID       "PCI:0:11:0"
	Driver      "nv"
	# Used in "Screen 2"
EndSection