Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 00:39:35 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        valentin strasser <valentin_strasser@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a question about sharing

valentin strasser wrote:

> Hello
> I'm an university Net administrator. The net works under FreeBSD UNIX. We
> are connected to our ISP via a cable with a limited traffic. We want to give
> our students some access to the Internet in such a way that each student
> will have his/hers account with a limited amount of Mbytes per month of
> traffic. I would gladly appreciate if anyone tells me where to find a free
> software that can solve the problem. Our ISP wants to change FreeBSD on
> Linux.

	FreeBSD can do this, assuming that I understand the question correctly.
I believe the dummynet and bridging capabilities are what you're looking
for. Unfortunately I can't help get you up and running, since I haven't
worked with them, but there is a lot of information in the mail archives
and the on line FAQ and handbook.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire