Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 20:51:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> For nearly any change you make, there will *potentially* be some code,
> somewhere, that relies on the old state.  But nevertheless, if it is
> unlikely enough to break things, then we make the change and move on.

Exactly.....  We could argue all day about every little change to every
little program.  There are going to be times when changing something
breaks something else, even when repairing something that is obviously
wrong to begin with.  If we nit-picked over every change as insignificant
as this one, nothing would EVER get done.

Personally I think it's a good idea to warn when the user does something
"stupid".  Not prompt and prompt and prompt a la MS-xyz, but warn.  If
this breaks something somewhere, they will just have to fix it.  (It would
NOT be a major fix.)  There are FAR FAR FAR "worse problems" introduced
every day to the tree.

Bottom line?  I can't think of many changes that impact things LESS.

Later......						<Doug>