Date:      Tue, 09 May 2006 12:08:08 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, albi <albi@scii.nl>
Subject:   Re: details about EOL (of FreeBSD 5.4) ?

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 10:40:06AM -0500, Greg Barniskis wrote:

>> If 2006 is accurate, this is registering on me as a significant POLA
>> violation. Very hard to believe this is accurate. If accurate, what
>> list/channel/forum should I have been paying more attention to?
>
> security@, and the website where this has been announced for a LONG
> TIME.  The policy and rationale is all there.

OK, thanks. Searched back in my security@ archives and found it,
plain as day. The discussion of 5.4's fate did happen long ago.

I actually read it carefully at the time but didn't think much of
it, believing we'd surely have our servers on 6.x by now. So I
totally take back the POLA statement -- I knew this was coming and
it was my mistake to forget and let mgmt. defer the upgrade plan.

We'll do an interim hop from RELENG_5_4 to RELENG_5, and escalate
our path to 6.x adoption. Actually, it'll be nice to wave the EOL
stick to force some action on that. Running EOL server parts is
against policy. =)

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348