Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:16:32 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        sparc64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from alternate disk in sparc64

At 3:50 PM -0800 12/3/03, Doug White wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>
>  > I now have two drives in my Ultra-10, and wanted to boot off
>>  the second drive.  I got to the open-firmware prompt.  Typing
>  > "boot disk0" boots up off the first disk, with the messages:
>
>The OpenFirmware (or openprom) boot command just boots loader.
>Loader actually loads the kernel. They can load from different
>locations, as you found.  Normally in FreeBSD, you will not be
>changing things from OFW, unless you want to boot off a CD.
>If you are just booting a kernel from another disk, you can
>just repoint loader using currdev.

Just to be complete, I should mention that what I had done was
taken the one disk that had been the only disk, moved that to
be the slave disk and added a new disk as the master ATA disk.
I then installed 5.1 onto the new "disk0".

So I know the "new disk1" used to work as the old disk0, but it
is true that the disk was built and had always run as disk0
before I added the second disk to the machine.