Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:20:16 -0700
From:      Lev Walkin <vlm@netli.com>
To:        Martin Olsson <mnemo@minimum.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and MacOS

Martin Olsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * MacOS X is based on FreeBSD
> * there is a x86 kernel for FreeBSD
>
> Does that mean I can buy a copy of MacOS X, download an x86 kernel for
> freeBSD, do some (or quite alot of) hacking and then get MacOS X running
> on my PC?
>
> I realize that such hacking would be quite substantial but maybe if I
> forgot about audio and all that, just how much work would it be? Could
> it be done?

MacOS X is based on multiple concepts, including
Darwin. Darwin is based on FreeBSD.

To run MacOS on your platform, you would need a bulk of sources
which are not freely accessible. You simply cannot "hack" Aqua
or Quartz sources because there ain't any in public access.

Otherwise, you could just install Darwin, it will run on your
PC without any hacking.

--
Lev Walkin
vlm@netli.com