Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:31:49 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible simple install-info fix

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 09:57:22AM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> > >       Hmmm.... I had been thinking all along that the problem with
> > > install-info was that the system couldn't use the new binary. Are you
> > > saying here that installworld is trying to use the old version of
> > > install-info that is installed in the system? Please say it isn't so...
> > >
> > Yes, it is using the old binary.
> > There were plans (Marcel?) to commit an installation tools support into
> > src/Makefile.inc1, but it was postponed until 4.0-RELEASE is done.
> > This is now happened, and I expect Marcel committing his staff soon.
>
> All that needs to be done is build install-info by the bootstrap-tools
> stage. It will then be used throughout the build and install stages
> (after applying the patch :-). This of course assumes that the new
> install-info is backward compatible with the previous version.

It is (install-info) already there (in bootstrap-tools), and just awaiting
your patch to be committed :-)

Then we could remove that `make -DNOFINO installworld, make installworld'
bogosity from src/UPDATING.

> The bootstrap-tools stage is designed to solve incompatibilities caused
> by versions of tools installed on the system and the requirements (for
> newer ones) by the source-tree.
>
> > >       If install-info is needed to do installworld, shouldn't it be
> > > considered a build tool, with all of the build platform/install platform
> > > gymnastics that implies?
> > >
> > install-info is already built as part of build-tools stage, but there are
> > two problems.
>
> This is a bug. If install-info is installed, then it isn't a build tool.
> Build tools are programs/scripts that are needed to build the sources
> only. They are not installed. Since install-info is installed, it can't
> be a build tool. this means that we either use the installed version or
> use a freshly built version made during the bootstrap stage.

Silly me, I meant bootstrap-tools.  There are so many *-tools stages,
that one is easy to get lost :-)

> > First, it is not currently used at the installworld stage,
> > which Marcel's patch fixes.
>
> Correct. Installworld is using installed binaries (even though newer
> ones have been made by the bootstrap stage) *and* it is using binaries
> it has installed already and which may not even be runnable by the
> current kernel.
>
> > Second, less important (IMHO), is a cross
> > building issue.  Consider the case, when you want to build 4.0 alpha
> > world on 3.x i386 system, and then install it (world) on alpha running 3.x.
> > It was discussed about month ago on -current...
>
> I don't consider this less important. Having the ability to do cross
> builds helps maintaining FreeBSD on multiple platforms and also helps in
> porting to new platforms.

Umm, I was unclean.  It seems to be of less priority.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,