Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 11:12:10 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "cesar e. huerta white" <cesar@itesocci.gdl.iteso.mx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need help with Windows95

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, cesar e. huerta white wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have a machine with FreeBSD, and another two with windows 95 and
> Windows for workgrups, how can I connect my windows 95 with FreeBSD?
>
> I have the NetTerm for windows, but my program don't see my machine
> with FreeBSD.
>
> Please Help me.
>
> Thanking the attention that you give at this matter.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Cesar E. H. White

Well, you don't really say what type of connection you want. We have a
couple of FreeBSD's here, and dozens of Win95/NT's. If you want to share
disk space between them, you should use teh Samba package (it comes on
the FreeBSD CD). However, what we do is just let Win95s Telnet and ftp
the FreeBSD boxes. I guess that's what you want (at least that's what
NetTerm is for). Make sure that the IP protocol on the Win95 is
configured properly (it's in the Network control panel applet, look at
the TCP/IP protocol properties for the details). Can you ping the Win95
machine from the FreeBSD machine (by using it's IP address)?

For WFWG you'll need a TCP/IP stack (a separate product, but there are
freeware versions) to get that functionality.

Nadav