Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:59:58 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Tore Lund <toreld@netscape.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDstats: Stand up and be counted!  --  November Statistics

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >

> > Percentage Change in November from October:
> >
> >            Overall           - 2.5%
> >
> > Broken down as:
> >
> >            DesktopBSD       + 31.8%  ( 737 hosts)
> >            DragonFly        +  9.5%  (  23 hosts)
> >            FreeBSD          +  8.4%  (5008 hosts)
> >            GNU/kFreeBSD     -100.0%  (   0 hosts)
> >            MidnightBSD      +133.3%  (  14 hosts)
> >            MirBSD           - 28.6%  (   5 hosts)
> >            NetBSD           +  7.2%  ( 119 hosts)
> >            OpenBSD          + 11.3%  (  79 hosts)
> >            PC-BSD           - 13.5%  (6551 hosts)
>
> When I go to www.bsdstats.org, I see these figures:
>
>  	Systems
> This Month 	Percentage
> FreeBSD 	5,041 	67.5 %

Oh no!  This is now 5044!

> PC-BSD 		1,997 	26.7 %
> DesktopBSD 	241 	3.2 %
> NetBSD 		99 	1.3 %
> OpenBSD 	56 	0.7 %
> DragonFly 	24 	0.3 %
> MidnightBSD 	12 	0.2 %
>
> So, what's happening here?

When you install the stats program it registers you, then the sites
statistics get updated.

> Is it too early in December for some BSD
> varieties to report yet?

I've no idea what you're imagining this program does ...

> Whatever the answer, PC-BSD has hardly lost
> more than 2/3 of its users since November, so something is fishy here.

Huh?

> In any case, it would be nice to see a DATE somewhere on these pages.

Date of what?  The stats are live.

> Thanks for your efforts, BTW.  I just ran bsdstats myself.

See.  This is your fault, if people like you keep installing it, the
numbers will keep changing!

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com